Call Us Today
TEMPOROMANDIBULAR DISORDER (TMD)
Millions of Americans suffer from chronic facial and neck pain as well as recurring headaches. In some cases, this pain is due to Temporomandibular Disorder, or TMD. Your temporomandibular joints (TMJ) connect your lower jawbone to your skull. These joints get a lot of use throughout the day as you speak, chew, swallow, and yawn. Pain in and around these joints can be unpleasant and may even restrict movement.
SYMPTOMS OF TMD INCLUDE:
- Pain in the jaw area
- Pain, ringing, or stuffiness in the ears
- Frequent headaches or neck aches
- Clicking or popping sound when the jaw moves
- Swelling on the sides of the face
- Muscle spasms in the jaw area
- A change in the alignment of top and bottom teeth
- Locked jaw or limited opening of the mouth
Should you notice any of these symptoms, let us know. Dr. Afifi can help indicate the presence of TMD and create an effective treatment just for you.
There are a few simple steps you can take at home or work to prevent TMD from becoming more severe, or to prevent it from occurring:
- Relax your face — remember the rule: "Lips together, teeth apart"
- Avoid grinding your teeth
- Avoid constant gum chewing
- Don't cradle the phone receiver between your head and shoulder — either use a headset or hold the receiver in your hand
- Chew food evenly on both sides of your mouth
- Do not sit with your chin rested on your hand
- Practice good posture — keep your head up, back straight, and shoulders squared
WHY YOU SHOULD CHOSE OUR OFFICE
Dr. Anoosh Afifi is an experienced dentist with postgraduate education at Piper Education and Research Center for TMJ disorders and at the Dawson Academy. If you are suffering from chronic pain and would like a consultation, contact our office today. We often receive referrals from other dentists to evaluate their patients.
For more information on TMJ TMD, you can visit the Invisalign website.
Schedule a Free Consultation Today
Call our office to see if you qualify for Invisalign instead of traditional metal braces. Often times, Invisalign can help you save money as well as the daily hassles of metal braces. (206)-323-9000